Search


 
  help

Transfer 1 or 2?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 800
soon2be_mrsd Posted: Fri, Mar 17 2017 2:19 PM

I know this is only a question DH and I can truly answer. I was looking for some thoughts. And yeah, the site is closing soon, but I still wanted to see if I could get some replies!

 

Our RE told us originally that he'd provide a recommendation on the # of embryos to transfer once they were frozen/ the cycle was over.  I am 35 (36 in 2 months).  I'm right on the cusp of 1 vs 2 being the standard for transfer suggestions under good conditions.   I met with him today and he basically said he's kinda wishy washy about what to suggest.  He says his soft recommendation is 1, but it cost is an issue where it would be a financial burden for us to do a 2nd transfer right away (which it kinda is...) he would say 2 is acceptable.  

He laid out the basics, which i kinda already knew.  So really he didn't offer a ton of info.  It's up to us.  The goal of IVF is for a healthy singleton pregnancy.  Twins come with risks for mom and baby of course and even risks to the baby/child as they grow if born early (which they often are).    They also come with added costs, which I'm not focusing so much on personally because we have the childcare situation worked out already (DH works at a center so discounts galore/ makes sense to use them) and baby gear -- i"m a super practical person- used stuff is FINE...we'll get gifts.  I'm not worried about initial costs (sure college and stuff down the line but my head is not there at this point!)

 

Reasons it makes sense to do 1:

We don't have a history of multiple losses or possible genetic issues going on that could be contributing to infertility.   

We have many embryos left frozen to try again

We have excellent looking embryos-  appear high quality based on rating scales

First transfer- usually start lowest risk of multiples when possible

 

Reasons it makes sense to do 2:

My age (egg quality could be an issue, embryos might not be normal) - basically a huge unknown.  perfect looking embryos don't  provide much more info besides "they look pretty"

Costs (it will be several thousand for each transfer attempt and I'm not sure we could swing that again until later this year)

Me: 35   DH: 33

TTC #1 since February 2015

Diagnosis: ovulation disorder, pelvic adhesions, tubal dysfunction:  4 medicated cycles with femara + FSH injections (2 timed intercourse and 2 IUI) - all BFN.  We are done with treatments now (Nov 2016).  Trying naturally for a bit while exploring other paths to parenthood.

Natural BFP 12/17/16!   Ectopic Loss 5w5d  on 12/26/16

Feb 2017: Starting IVF Cycle:  Antagonist Protocol with 375IU Gonal F and 75IU Menopur, Added Ganirelix day 6.  Stimmed for 9 days total.   24 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 14 fertlized, 10 made it to blast and were frozen!  Transfer in April\

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 11,539
Moderator
tmonee replied on Sat, Mar 18 2017 2:11 PM

It seems to me that if a second transfer would be financially difficult, a pregnancy with multiples would be just as much so. I'd transfer one for the first try. Good luck! Baby Dust

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 800
soon2be_mrsd replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 7:18 AM

That's very true.  My silly insurance which pays nothing foe fertility and basically nothing until I hit the deductible does cover maternity 100% no deductible or copay required.  I guess in my head I keep thinking that means free, but that's just basic visits, tests, ultrasounds.  I imagine any non routine stuff would still be subject to copay type charges and then of course baby related bills if two arrive. 

 

I dont feel peaceful about either option yet, but this whole process has blown my mind for the past 1-2 months that I a, confident I will know the right choice soon. 

Me: 35   DH: 33

TTC #1 since February 2015

Diagnosis: ovulation disorder, pelvic adhesions, tubal dysfunction:  4 medicated cycles with femara + FSH injections (2 timed intercourse and 2 IUI) - all BFN.  We are done with treatments now (Nov 2016).  Trying naturally for a bit while exploring other paths to parenthood.

Natural BFP 12/17/16!   Ectopic Loss 5w5d  on 12/26/16

Feb 2017: Starting IVF Cycle:  Antagonist Protocol with 375IU Gonal F and 75IU Menopur, Added Ganirelix day 6.  Stimmed for 9 days total.   24 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 14 fertlized, 10 made it to blast and were frozen!  Transfer in April\

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3,305
botanica_cc replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 7:45 AM

If I was in your position I would opt for 2. I think that it increases your chances of a pregnancy and if you end up with twins, you said you already have a childcare plan in place and if you look at the overall factors, if it doesn't work all the months that you would be waiting to financially be able to try again you would also be stressed having the anxiety of preventing for fear of an oops and ectopic . I have a sister and sister-in-law who have twins, both first pregnancies and the prenatal visit costs doesn't change if you have multiples. Yes the risk factors are there, both my sister and SIL also carried to a few days shy of their due dates. No pregnancy is predictable or cookie cutter. The diapers may double, the work to put forth if both take is there and real, but I have seen many ladies in the 10+ years on this site end up with a BFN over and over, you just never know. I would go big! Age is also. 

DH A 46 Kiss Me Candace 39

Baby Boy C 12/05 (born via emergency c-section at 40w6d)

Baby Boy H 2/09 (born via c-section after failed VBAC at 39w6d)

Baby Boy G 3/11 (born via scheduled repeat c-section at 39w

Chemical Pregnancy 5/2013 💔

Miscarriage 6/26/15 @ 10w 1d 💔 D&C 6/29/15 Baby Girl Full Trisomy 16 

http://ovusoft.com/members/botanica_5F00_cc/charts/default.aspx

 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 800
soon2be_mrsd replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 2:31 PM

Thank you botanica.  The preventing aspect does weigh heavily on my mind.  im glad you brought that up.

 

Me: 35   DH: 33

TTC #1 since February 2015

Diagnosis: ovulation disorder, pelvic adhesions, tubal dysfunction:  4 medicated cycles with femara + FSH injections (2 timed intercourse and 2 IUI) - all BFN.  We are done with treatments now (Nov 2016).  Trying naturally for a bit while exploring other paths to parenthood.

Natural BFP 12/17/16!   Ectopic Loss 5w5d  on 12/26/16

Feb 2017: Starting IVF Cycle:  Antagonist Protocol with 375IU Gonal F and 75IU Menopur, Added Ganirelix day 6.  Stimmed for 9 days total.   24 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 14 fertlized, 10 made it to blast and were frozen!  Transfer in April\

Not Ranked
Posts 405
luv1mo replied on Tue, Mar 21 2017 12:28 PM

I'd probably go for two as well -- feels like a safer bet. And I am a twin mom who had a normal, healthy twin pregnancy with full-term twins (delivered via c-section because both were breech). It was my singleton who caused issues... so you just never know. 

Sending you so much good luck no matter what you choose!

Me: 43 | Husband: 42

Proud parents to boy/girl twins born 5.28.11 and boy born 4.19.13.

Chemical pregnancy 7.13.16

Positive pregnancy test 1.11.17

12-week ultrasound -- everything looks good. Very wiggly baby!

See my profile for test results, etc.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS