help

Shorter/Lighter periods after medicated cycles

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 800
soon2be_mrsd Posted: Thu, Mar 9 2017 12:23 PM

Hi- I know we've been through the average period flow chart so many times (I'm going to go find it and paste it to this thread even!) and I know I've even posted about flow before.... I just have a newish question.

Most people seem to talk about periods being heavier or lasting longer after medications -- possibly due to a thicker than usual lining?   For me though, my period is shorter after medicated cycles.  I don't understand this.  Is this telling me that my body naturally makes a thicker lining than when on medicine?-- I know menstrual flow is more than just lining - or is it saying that maybe my periods were more "inefficient" before in that they dragged out longer?   The actual flow seems lighter too, but I am going to plead lack of memory slightly because most of last year was all medicated cycles and the 9 months prior to that I had strange heavy heavy bleeding so my "real flow" is going back about 2 years at this point and it's hard to recall.

I looked back at old charts and old knowledge I can remember.  My period was always 4-5 days long. 

It would go like this

Day 1 H  (keep in mind this was "my heavy" and probably truly more in a medium rate so bump the rest of the flow days down a notch too)

Day 2 M

Day 3 M

Day 4 L

Day 5 L

After medicated cycles, my period is only 3 days long (just the period directly after medications- other cycles last year were more my normal).  Now they go like this

Day 1 M

Day 2 L

Day 3 L to spotting

This current period especially feels light- I've changed my feminine protection more often, but if I combine up some half/ and 1/4 filled products, I have maybe 4 I've used in total and I'm on day 3 with light spotting going on.

Me: 35   DH: 33

TTC #1 since February 2015

Diagnosis: ovulation disorder, pelvic adhesions, tubal dysfunction:  4 medicated cycles with femara + FSH injections (2 timed intercourse and 2 IUI) - all BFN.  We are done with treatments now (Nov 2016).  Trying naturally for a bit while exploring other paths to parenthood.

Natural BFP 12/17/16!   Ectopic Loss 5w5d  on 12/26/16

Feb 2017: Starting IVF Cycle:  Antagonist Protocol with 375IU Gonal F and 75IU Menopur, Added Ganirelix day 6.  Stimmed for 9 days total.   24 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 14 fertlized, 10 made it to blast and were frozen!  Transfer in April\

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 800
soon2be_mrsd replied on Thu, Mar 9 2017 12:25 PM

resource from moderator DJ Rayne

Realize that 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons, teaspoon = 5ml. A normal pad holds 5ml when full (1/3 - 1/2 of pad covered, blood seen clearly through the back). A super pad holds 10 ml. This is the same for tampons. Anything less than 5ml is too light and more than 80ml is too heavy. To amend the scale I went in and added measures by day for some of the levels.

The Mansfield-Voda-Jorgensen Menstrual Bleeding Scale can give you indication about how much you are bleeding: 

1. Spotting. A drop or two of blood, not even requiring sanitary protection though you may prefer to use some. Use of a liner appropriate at this point. It will not be filled only marked.

2. Very light bleeding. You would need to change the least absorbent tampon or pad one or two times per day, though you may prefer to change more frequently. 

3. Light bleeding. You would need to change a low or regular absorbency tampon or pad two or three times per day, though you may prefer to change more frequently. 15ml/day - 4 days of this is 60ml

4. Moderate bleeding. You would need to change a regular absorbency tampon or pad every three to four hours, though you may prefer to change more frequently. 4 pad changes =20ml/day 3days is again 60ml

5. Heavy bleeding. You would need to change a high absorbency tampon or pad every three to four hours, though you may prefer to change more frequently. 4 pad changes/day is 40ml and 2 days of this is 80ml

6. Very heavy bleeding or gushing. Protection hardly works at all; you would need to change the highest absorbency tampon or pad every hour or two. If this happens for longer than an 8 hour stretch you should call your DR.

Most with lighter to moderate, bleeds last longer; in general heavier are for shorter durations. 5ml will turn water in a toilet dark red and look like an incredibly massive amt. Many women have days that vary. If you change pads more frequently and they are not full you would double the number of pads to get the same amt of loss per day.

Me: 35   DH: 33

TTC #1 since February 2015

Diagnosis: ovulation disorder, pelvic adhesions, tubal dysfunction:  4 medicated cycles with femara + FSH injections (2 timed intercourse and 2 IUI) - all BFN.  We are done with treatments now (Nov 2016).  Trying naturally for a bit while exploring other paths to parenthood.

Natural BFP 12/17/16!   Ectopic Loss 5w5d  on 12/26/16

Feb 2017: Starting IVF Cycle:  Antagonist Protocol with 375IU Gonal F and 75IU Menopur, Added Ganirelix day 6.  Stimmed for 9 days total.   24 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 14 fertlized, 10 made it to blast and were frozen!  Transfer in April\

Not Ranked
Posts 476
laluna replied on Fri, Mar 10 2017 10:07 PM

I didn't noticed any changes in AF on my medicated cycles. But I have light periods anyway, similar to what you described as your light ones but with more days of spotting. 

Me - 34, DH - 41

TTC #1 since May 2014

3 Clomid cycles - BFNs

Unexplained infertility

My chart

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 29,516
dj rayne replied on Mon, Mar 27 2017 6:34 AM

Realize that the uterus is basically the size of a small juice box. The space that the lining is contained in the size of a walnut. Even with a thick lining most of what is seen is bleeding from vessels not clotting off. There really just isn't much there. We all respond differently to the meds and it sounds like they improve the chemical balance and improve your response to the same through AF.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS